Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Life after Hills Road > ICS Youth Volunteering Programme

ICS Youth Volunteering Programme

Former Hills Road student Megan Ling first heard about the ICS Youth Volunteering Programme through a friend who had been to South Africa on the programme.

Megan in Tanzania
Megan in Tanzania


90% of the ICS programme's funding comes from the Department for International Development, with the other 10% raised by the volunteers themselves as the first of the 3 stages of the programme. The second stage consists of an overseas placement and the third is action at home.


For the first stage of the programme, Megan managed to raise £1500 by taking part in a skydive, a cycle ride from Cambridge to the Tanzanian High Commission in London, and other small cake and car boot sales.


Last September Megan travelled to Tanzania with VSO where she spent 10 weeks volunteering in Iringa with VSO and T-LED (Tanzania Local Enterprise Development). Here she worked with Tanzanian volunteers to help small enterprises develop their businesses, through cash flow training and business card/logo designing. She also taught the United Nation's Sustainable Development Goals to students at Kleruu, a local secondary school. As a group the volunteers organised Community Action Days to raise awareness of issues and provide training opportunities in the community.

Megan is now back in Cambridge and carrying our her Action at Home. She already volunteers as a leader at a local scout group, and has now started volunteering in a charity shop.


Reflecting on her experience, Megan believed it helped her to develop new skills as well as enabling her to learn about new cultures, especially through living with a host family and having a Tanzanian counterpart volunteer during her time overseas.


To find out more about the ICS programme and the opportunities it brings visits:


Similar stories

Chris Worsfold to the left and art teacher Jonathan Sansom to the right

5 Questions with Hills Road Alumni Chris Worsfold

Hills Road Alumni Chris Worsfold, studied at University College London and has a Masters in Architecture. We asked him five questions.... More...

Tips about what to do during the summer holidays
How To: Make the Most of Your Summer

Here's a list list dedicated to help you make the most of your summer. You can thank me later. More...

SuRie representing the UK at Euro Vision 2018
5 Questions with Hills Road Alumna Eurovision Contest SuRie

Interview with Hills Road alumna SuRie who represented the UK at Eurovision this year! More...

Pippa outside Papworth Hospital
Help Alumna Pippa to Publish a Cook Book

Pippa attended Hills Road from 2005-07. Last year she underwent life-changing surgery in the form of a double lung trans… More...

Hills Road Women's Rugby team
Urban Shed support the Hills Road Women’s Rugby Team

Newly formed Hills Road Sixth Form College's Women's Rugby team need help to buy new kit More...

Most read

Jack Merritt
The tragic loss of former Hills student, Jack Merritt

We are deeply saddened by the sudden and untimely death of 25-year-old Jack Merritt, former Hills Road Sixth Form College student from 2011 to 2013. More...

HIllsNews July 2018
HillsNews July 2018

Read the latest edition of the HillsNews More...

Holly at the Pura Taman Kemuda Saraswati Temple in Bali
Gap Year Adventures

Alumna Holly Phipps shares her experiences from her gap year since leaving Hills Road last summer. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by